Five words sum up the reason this park is ideal for walks with family members of all ages: scooters, skateboards, bikes, strollers, ADA accessible. It is also a short 1/4 mile walk to downtown Yarmouth for pizza at Otto's or coffee at Handy's. Socially distanced, quality time with the kids, the grandparents, and the dog - check.
The 5 foot wide, paved path follows a 1.3 mile loop along the impressive Royal River. The trail includes three waterfalls, two are at old dam sites and one at a historic mill site. There are signs along the way explaining the history of the mills. For a longer walk, this loop connects with the Beth Condon Pathway where a pedestrian bridge crosses the river.
The parking lot is located at 111 East Elm Street. You will see the Royal River Park at the start of the trail, which offers picnic tables, a large open field and a stage for their summer concert series.
The history of this park can be read on the signs along the way. The first mills were built here around 1805. The Yarmouth Paper Company, built in 1864, produced paper pulp and included 10 buildings over 10 acres. Rail cars delivered logs, coal, soda and chlorine to the mill and carried the pulp away. The mill closed in 1923 and burned in 1931, leaving rubble and remains until the development of the Royal River Park in the 1980's. The park was rehabilitated in 3 phases from 1979 - 1984. Another fun fact, the Yarmouth electric trolley ran here from 1898 - 1933. In 1906, a bridge was built over the Royal River that connected the Brunswick and Portland trolleys.
Enjoy this family friendly park!